The LGMA assists local authorities in the following areas:
- Lead on behalf of the sector in negotiations on national social partnership agreements
- Lead on behalf of the sector in negotiations and discussions with trade unions and staff associations on all matters affecting local authorities
- Ensure the effective operation of the Local Authority National Council (LANC) forum for processing all industrial relations claims with national implications
- Professional representation for local authorities at all third party proceedings including Labour Relations Commission, Rights Commissioner, Labour Court, Employment Appeals Tribunal, Equality Tribunal, National Implementation Body and any other agreed mediation, arbitration or adjudication process
- Assist local authorities in the research, preparation and conduct of negotiations and discussions with trade unions and staff associations at local level
- Provide analysis and guidance to local authorities on employment rights, impact of new / amended legislation.