Minister English said ‘The introduction of the service by public libraries across the country is an exciting and ground-breaking initiative, the first of its kind in the world. Every library in Ireland is effectively now your local library.
Your local library membership card enables you to use all 333 public libraries, to read, browse, study, borrow items such as books, DVDs, games or other formats, use wi-fi and pcs, use the printing, photocopying and scanning equipment and, of course, get help from friendly and welcoming staff.
The new service provides a single access for library members to over 15 million items in the 333 library services across the country. The individual library collections from every local authority are now represented, offering the public single access to the library collections, resources and digital content of all public libraries in one search.
The service allows members of the library to request titles and have these delivered quickly and efficiently by courier to each branch library nationwide on a twice weekly basis. The service enables the introduction of a number of new services such as a single membership card across all public libraries, universal membership for all children and a virtual library; each of these are services planned under the Public Library Strategy 2013-2017, Opportunities for All, a progressive programme for the development and enhancement of public library services. The single library system for all local authority public libraries will deliver on the Government’s agenda to reduce costs, drive efficiency and improve services to the citizen. It will maximise accessibility, cost-efficiency, reach and impact.
- Your local public library is the place to get information and learn new skills in a relaxed and comfortable environment. It is your community and cultural hub with exciting events throughout the year.
- Your library membership enables you to use all 333 public libraries, read, browse, study, borrow items such as books, DVDs, games or other formats, use Wi-Fi, PCs and printing services.
- You can also reserve up to 12 items at a time from the 15 million titles available in the libraries.
- You can do this when you visit a library or you can request online from home.
- Your selected titles will be delivered quickly to your local branch, generally within the week.
- The Libraries Ireland service also provides free access to library members to a huge range of online resources, e-books, e-audiobooks, e-newspapers, e-magazines, e-courses and e-languages.
- All of these services are available free of charge provided by the local authorities through your public libraries.
For further information please contact: Eva McEneaney, Libraries Development, Local Government Management Agency Tel: 01 6332200; email: email@example.com